Pregnancy is a great experience for all women. But it comes with some extra diseases and symptoms. One of the most common problems faced by pregnant women is headaches. According to studies, nearly 40% of pregnant women suffer from different headaches during different times of their pregnancy period. You may face different types of headaches and these are usually not harmful. In some cases, pregnant women suffer from cluster headaches. This article will allow you to understand the symptoms and treatments for this type of headache.
What is a cluster headache?
Cluster headaches are one of the most disturbing forms of headaches. It happens in cluster periods. You may feel a sharp pain in an eye or a portion of your head during a specific time. This attack may last for a week or several months. After those time you won’t feel the headache. This time is called the remission period.
This type of headaches generally occurs with any warning. But some woman may feel nausea, a pain similar to migraine in case of cluster headache pregnancy. The symptoms of cluster headache are-
- Sharp pain after you have fallen asleep. The headache becomes stronger after 5 to 10 minutes of starting and this intense pain last from 30 minutes up to 2 hours.
- Headache in a portion of the head or in one eye.
- Continuous and burning sensation like headache
- Redness on one eye or the affected area of the head
- The runny nose on the headache affected side
- Sweat on the forehead
- Droopy eyelid and constricted eye pupil
- Flushed face
- Extreme tearing from the affected eye
Cluster period quality and symptoms
A cluster may last for a week or many months. A cluster is followed by a headache-free remission period. Symptoms during the cluster period-
- Headaches take place every day, often several times
- A single attack may last for 15 minutes to 2 hours
- Often the attacks happen at the same time every day
- Usually, attacks start after one to two hours of sleep.
The cause of cluster headache during pregnancy is different than its general causes. There are different factors during each trimester.
- First trimester
The causes of cluster headache during pregnancy first trimester are generally the hormonal changes, weight changes, dehydration, stress, malnutrition, less physical activity, allergies from foods like chocolate, dairy products, yeast, tomatoes, etc.
- Second and Third Trimester
High blood pressure is the main cause during this period. Other factors are extra weight, lack of proper sleep, diet, muscle problems, tension, and stress.
Consult your doctor as soon as possible if the headaches become unbearable. Usually, doctors prohibit pregnant women from taking medicines like ibuprofen or aspirin. These medicines may harm the well being of the baby. Doctors will prescribe suitable medicines. You can try other holistic and natural ways to cure the cluster headache. These include,
- Heat pad or balms
- A relaxing head massage
- Drinking enough water
- Taking rest
- Pregnancy exercise
- Application of essential oils like lavender, peppermint, chamomile, and rosemary.
Therefore, it is clear that cluster headache may occur to pregnant women although it is not common. This type of headache is often unbearable. But, as it is during pregnancy doctor’s advice is just to ensure the healthy growth of the baby. With proper medication and care, cluster headache can be cured.
To learn anything about a better parenting lifestyle, visit here.