Disasters and emergency situations are an inevitable part of our life. It is how we respond to such situations that plays a major factor on our survival. You may have all the knowledge about prepping but as we all know a disaster can change everything in an instant and you may be forced to survive without your emergency survival kits. Without the right skills for survival your chances of surviving a disaster or emergency situation will be greatly affected.
It is important to understand that because of modern commodities our knowledge for basic survival has greatly diminished. This will basically have a negative effect to us in an extended disaster survival situation and can mean the difference between life and death. Here are the top 10 basic survival skills that you need to learn in order to ensure you and your family’s chances of survival:
1. Learn how to grow food and or find it
Disasters can change everything in an instant. You may be well prepared to survive indoors but what if you are forced to survive outdoors without any supplies? This is where self sufficiency with acquiring food becomes a necessity. Growing food for your family as well as the hunting and gathering approach are the best skills to learn to keep you and your family from starving when surviving outdoors.
- Grow your own survival food: Check out our article on what crops you should be prepared to grow after SHTF and things settle down enough.
- Wild plants and insects that are edible: We list the types of plants and insects you normally find in the wild that you can and can’t eat.
- Ways to fish without traditional equipment: Read about the 3 main ways to fish without store bought equipment.
- Survival hunting using makeshift traps and snares: Learn all you need to know about making improvised traps and snares.
2. How to find water and purify it
This is the most important skill everyone should learn in order to survive. As we all know it is impossible for us to survive without water so it is important to understand the importance of knowing how to get and purify water. You need to realize that unless your water source is a spring, chances are your water supply will run out and you need to find an alternative source. In this website, you can learn more about water storage and purification methods. Knowing how to purify your drinking water is also very important to ensure that it is clean and potable.
- 4 Life Saving Ways To Find Water And How To Purify It: Check out our article to get complete information on how to obtain and purify water for outdoor survival.
3. Learn the art of clothing repair
You need to master this skill as clothing is one of the most important elements when surviving. From basic sewing to making clothes from bolts of cloths or leather it is important to master this skill to help ensure your chances of survival
- 9 Sewing Supplies For Your Survival Kit : Read for more information about the right survival sewing kit for clothing and equipment repair.
4. Learn basic grooming skills
Basic grooming skills are very important to learn to keep your family clean and healthy in a survival situation. Keep in mind that being healthy is one of the most important factors in ensuring you and your family’s survival.
- 7 Overlooked Considerations: Grooming in a Survival Situation: Find out more about basic grooming skills that will help ensure your survival in a emergency situation.
5. Learn first aid
During a disaster situation you cannot expect to get medical professional help so it is important to know how to treat yourself and others as it will be your only chance in a emergency situation. Every household or group should have a good first aid manual and kit before and during a disaster situation.
- 5 First Aid Survival Skills You Should Learn: Read for more information on the most basic and useful first aid skills.
6. How to start and maintain a fire
This is one of the most essential skills you need to learn in order to ensure your survival either indoors or outdoors. Learning how to start a fire and have it going when you need it can mean the difference between life and death in a survival situation. Fire can be used to cook food and purify water not to mention keep you and your family warm ensuring your chances of survival.
- How To Start A Fire In Wet Or Dry Environments: Learn how to start a survival fire in dry and wet environments.
7. Learn how to defend yourself and be willing to do it
Owning a firearm and knowing how to use it is one of the most basic things to learn to ensure that you are able to protect yourself and your family in a emergency situation. It is important to understand that during a disaster or emergency situation there will be a lot of desperate people who will not think twice in harming you and your family just to get to your supplies. Defending yourselves with clubs, knives, and basic hand to hand combat are also necessary skills to learn.
- 7 Rules for Self Defense – Protecting Yourself in Emergency Situations
- Complete Guide to Self Defense Weapons
8. Learn and train your mind to expect the totally unexpected
Disaster situations can change everything in an instant, but no matter how much we know this actual disaster and survival events will surely freak us out. Training ourselves to prepare and practice all sorts of drills for various horrors is great way to prepare us for such situations. You also have to keep in mind that there will always be a big possibility of something strange, weird, and frightening things to happen when in a survival situation. By doing this you will eventually condition your mind to accept such scenarios.
9. Understand the world and potential disasters that await
Keep in mind that timing is everything and knowing how to react and respond properly to disaster or pending disasters can mean the difference between life and death. This can be done by monitoring world and local news and be informed and aware to see a situation developing and act on it before it actually occurs. It is important to understand that knowledge plays a vital part in ensuring your survival.
10. Learn and condition yourself into a survival mentality
Everyone has to learn the skill of scrounging around and finding what they need. You must learn to see in your mind that certain items can be very useful for your survival. Having a survival mentality will greatly increase your chances in finding solutions to problems that will surely occur in a survival situation.
Here is a short video that will show you some must have basic survival skills:
Bonus: In addition to these 10 survival skills, one of the best force multipliers in any survival situation is the ability to “bug out”, or relocate. Simple shelters built from shipping containers, cabin kits, or even masonry blocks can provide you with a secure back up location when the need arises. If you are able to, consider implementing a bug out shelter into your overall survival plan.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked (required)